Daniel Hauser made 24 saves while Matthew Savoie scored two goals and added an assist as the ICE doubled Regina 6-3 last night to complete a two game sweep of the Pats.
Cole Muir scored the game’s opening goal 55 seconds into the first period. It was the 30th goal of his WHL career and 70th point. The 20 year old forward leads all ICE players with 213 WHL games played.
The win improved Winnipeg’s record to 6-0, their best start in franchise history.
Defenseman Karter Prosofsky is eligible to return to action tonight. He missed both games against Regina due to a two game suspension handed down by the WHL for a charging major and game misconduct penalty vs Prince Albert last Saturday. Prosofsky was also suspended for opening night in Brandon due to a major penalty assessed in preseason play September 25th.
ICE VS BRONCOS
The ICE play Swift Current six times during the WHL regular season (Today @ Wpg / Nov 19 @ SC / Nov 24 @ Wpg / Dec 30 @ SC / Feb 12 @ Wpg / Feb 26 @ SC).
The ICE are 11-1 vs the Broncos in their last 12 games.
This is the first game of the season against a Central Division opponent. After opening the season with six straight wins against East Division teams, eight of the next 10 games the ICE will play are against the Central Division.
Martin Bohm, Connor McClennon and Matthew Savoie lead all WHL players with a plus minus rating of +9.
Carson Lambos and Ben Zloty lead all WHL defensemen with seven assists and eight points.
Zach Benson leads all WHL rookies with five goals.
Matthew Savoie leads all WHL rookies with eight assists, 12 points and a plus minus rating of +9.
Daniel Hauser shares the WHL goaltenders wins lead at four with Dylan Garand of Kamloops and Sebastian Cossa of Edmonton
Gage Alexander leads all WHL goaltenders with a 1.00 goals against average.
The ICE roster includes 14 forwards, 9 defenseman and 2 goaltenders.
– 8 players are from Manitoba (Bertholet, Bruce, Friesen, Geekie, Lambos, Muir, Swan, Young).
– There are currently three 20-year-old players (Muir, Orzeck, Smallwood).
– 19 players who skated for the ICE return from last season (Alexander, Benson, Bertholet, Boucher, Bruce, Form, Geekie, Hauser, Lambos, McClennon, McMaster, Milne, Muir, Orzeck, Pederson, Prosofsky, Smallwood, Young, Zloty).
– 17 players are selections by the ICE in the WHL Bantam Draft (Alexander, Benson, Boucher, Bruce, Edwards, Form, Geekie, Hauser, Lambos, McClennon, McMaster, Milne, Orzeck, Pederson, Prosofsky, Savoie, Zloty).
– 2 players were selected in the 2021 CHL Import Draft (Bohm, Streule).
– 17 players are eligible for the 2022 NHL Draft led by Matt Savoie and Conor Geekie, who were selected first and second overall respectively by the ICE in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft (Bertholet, Bohm, Boucher, Bruce, Form, Friesen, Geekie, Hauser, McMaster, Milne, Pederson, Prosofsky, Savoie, Streule, Swan, Young, Zloty).
Oct 7 – assigned goaltender Dawson Cowan to Winnipeg Blues (MJHL)
Oct 1 – acquired an 8th round pick in 2022 Bantam Draft from the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for forward Rhys Raeside
Sept 27 – acquired a conditional 9th round pick in 2021 Bantam Draft from the Prince Albert Raiders in exchange for forward Hayden Pakkala